According to mainstream medicine, defining baby’s gender is simple: At the moment of ejaculation the male releases a collective of individual sperm (some male, some female). If one of those sperm finds its way successfully to the egg (the egg is neutral, being neither male nor female) and circumstances are favorable, that fertilized egg will develop into a fetus and eventually a baby.
Whether you get a boy or a girl depends entirely on which type of sperm meets the egg first. A male sperm is programmed with XY chromosomes and a female sperm is programmed with XX chromosomes.
Though more research is needed, the manipulation of body chemistry with diet may skew the environment to better favor a particular sperm (male or female).
A woman’s monthly cycle includes alternating pH levels (acidic and alkaline) within her reproductive tract. The changes in the pH environment within is now thought to affect baby’s gender. Making the vaginal environment and body chemistry “more hospitable” to one or the other type of sperm can influence conception. Experts say that alkaline in the follicular fluid will favor Y sperm (conceive a boy) while acidic in the follicular fluid gives preference to the X sperm (conceive a girl).
As much as you may want a baby girl or a baby boy, the reality is that no method can promise the desired results! Of course, there is no harm in giving this diet-based method a try.
If you want to conceive a baby girl, you may:
- Eat a low caloric diet right before conception
- Skip breakfast briefly
- Avoid salt and eat a lot of animal protein (meat, fish, eggs)
- Eat a temporary diet higher in acidic foods and avoid alkaline foods
- Consider taking a supplement with folic acid, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin C to help make the cervical mucus acidic.
If you want to conceive a baby boy, you may:
- Eat a high caloric diet right before conception
- Avoid dairy products as well as magnesium & calcium supplements
- Increase foods that contain potassium, like bananas
- Increase the consumption of vegetables and fresh fruits
- Eat plenty of alkaline foods.